Monday, July 6, 2009

Massage for Boomers

Baby Boomers that is! The boomer generation covers the time period between 1946 and 1964, of which I am a member as are many of my clients. The thing that I've noticed about this generation is how they usually don't act their age, but in a good way.

In addition to being a massage therapist I've been in the fitness field teaching classes for the last 25+ years. Many of the classes I've taught are for the "senior" population. What's interesting though is that these "seniors" are living life to the fullest. They may be retired, but they are by no means sitting around the house on the couch. They are active, and want to take care of themselves in whatever way necessary in order to maintain an active, independent lifestyle.

So how can you too maintain your active lifestyle or perhaps begin to live a more active lifestyle while aging?

Exercise, smart nutrition, yoga, and massage.

Age is definitely a state of mind, however, it can also be a state of the body. I know for me personally, even though I often feel more like I'm 30, by body sometimes tells another story. Wear and tear of being active during your younger days definitely takes a toll on the body in your later years.

Massage therapy can be very beneficial. While massage cannot repair serious injuries that have already occurred such as an ACL tear or reverse the need for a knee replacement, it can greatly help hold off those injuries that could become more severe.

"Massage finds tight spots and releases them before they become injuries."

Give it a try. The money you spend for massage could be a fabulous way to save money on future medical expenses.

No comments: